Monday, January 23, 2012

Veggie Fajitas, vegan style

Veggie Fajitas
I really think I should have been born South of the border! I love Mexican food, latin food, anything with beans, rice, cilantro, lime, cumin, avocado...
This time, I used steak style strips, something I never do. I thought it would be fun to introduce them to Chef KC and see what he thought of them.

Veggie Fajitas

2 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced into strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into thin circles
1-2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
1-2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces

1 small summer squash or zucchini, sliced into thin circles
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos or soy sauce
1 pkg steak style strips (optional)
Corn tortillas
Condiments or choice. We used pico de gallo, avocado-cumin sauce, and cheeze. You could also use sour cream and guacamole. Whatever you want!

Use the amount of vegetables you're comfortable with. When it says 1-2 cups, it just depends on what you're vegetables amount to, it's hard to actually measure these odd-shaped goodies, just use the amount you want.

Cooking veggies

Heat the oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add the onion and let it cook for a minute. Add the bell pepper, garlic, mushrooms and carrot, and let them cook for 3 minutes. Add the cauliflower, broccoli and squash. Combine the soy, lime juice and cumin, and pour it into the pan. Stir, cover, and let them steam for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and stir again, and let them cook until the moisture had evaporated. This can take a while, but be sure your pan is on high heat. If you're using the steak style strips, this is the time to add them.
The key to that fajita flavor is letting your food cook and caramelize a little. Stir it a few times to make sure you get cook crisp flavor on a lot of your veggies. Once you're happy with the color, they're done!
warm up your tortillas, adorn them with your veggies and other yummy toppings, and enjoy.

All dressed up


The "meat"
 
Tonight Chef KC was in the kitchen with me for a bit as I prepped. He thinks it's hilarious, the way I cut my veggies. I asked him to show me how to do it the "right" way. I have a video for this, even, showing you his technique. I originally took the video to show how fast he cuts the onions, but he thought it was about technique and not speed. Some day I will get that speed!
This was his (and my) first time trying the steak style strips. He used Lightlife brand. He said, "Wow. tastes like meat!" I thought they were a little sweet and salty, but not really like meat. He felt they were just like meat, with the same chewiness and texture. He knows better than I do, I haven't had meat in nearly 2 years!



Chef KC demonstrates chopping


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete