Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Black Bean Salad and Apple Cheddar Quesadillas

If you didn't know already, black beans are my favorite food thing in the whole world.



Black Bean Salad

1 can black beans, rinsed (My favorite are the reduced sodium Kroger/Smiths brand)
1 avocado, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed (Even better--corn cut from the cob. But NEVER canned corn. The taste is completely different, and we don't need that added sodium!)
1 handful cilantro, chopped
2 green onion stalks, chopped finely
1/2 tsp garlic salt - try less at first, and taste as you go. The mix of lime and salt can be overpowering.
1/4 tsp cumin, maybe a little more
Stir, season to taste, and enjoy!

Sometimes it's fun to mix in a cup or two of cooked brown rice, and even a small can of tomato sauce to make it a little bit different. Yum.

Apple Cheddar Quesadillas

This one is too simple, it really doesn't even need a recipe. I had a tiny apple from my son's leftovers...he never eats the whole thing. So I sliced it really thin, and I made a quesadilla with the apple slices, whole wheat tortillas, and sliced daiya cheddar.
I will think of some variations and other things to add to make a more complex recipe of this. I'm thinking something green...kale, maybe? Or maybe squash puree mixed with the cheese...this is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment