Monday, June 7, 2010

Berk Bryant's Birthday Bash


When I asked my hubby what he wanted to do over the summer, he said he really wanted to see a bluegrass show while in "bluegrass country."

As it happens, we found this wonderful radio station that plays a bunch of music that I really enjoy. There is never a time when I want to switch the station because I don't like a song. And, there are no silly commercials, either. I was listening one day, and they mentioned "Berk's Birthday Bash", a live-braodcast radio show honoring the Country Gentlemen himself, Berk Bryant. The show is FREE, you just have to pick up tickets in advance. So we did, and we went.

What fun!

It was in the basement of an old place called The Vernon. I am sure I was the youngest person there who wasn't involved with it in some way. There were 3 bands, and they were fun. The first band, Bluegrass 101, had a mandolin player who was only 15, and had only been with them for about 4 months, but he was AWESOME. The second band, Blue River, when they brought up the guitar player's wife, and she sang a song. Wow, can she belt out a tune! And the third, Cherryholmes, were so so entertaining. I loved it. They had an old man playing the standing bass, and as he introduced the band, he talked about the older woman up there with him who was literally the producer of the band...they were a family band, mom, dad, and their 4 kids. Go listen. Bluegrass might not be your thing, but try it. Listen to at least one song form each band, and if you only want to listen to one band, choose Cherryholmes. Mmm...

Hubby was happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment